We are looking for enthusiastic Software Developers to join our friendly, innovative and growing development team. Working with colleagues and directly with GOSS clients, you will contribute to the success of large scale, high profile projects, often utilising the latest web technologies.
Main duties and responsibilities
- To write and maintain software (including tests and documentation) to meet the needs of internal and external clients
- Assisting other internal teams with the diagnosis and rectification of reported client issues and bugs
- Discuss projects with internal and external clients to identify and suggest clear requirements that can be implemented in software
- Write robust, performant, secure, maintainable code according to industry best practices, and GOSS internal standards
- Assist with testing and reviewing code for bug fixes and features developed by other team members
- Respond to feature requests from internal and external clients, discussing with the platform team lead and raising tickets within the internal issue tracking system as needed
- Comply with GOSS platform team procedures for source code control, issue tracking, software releases, etc.
- Stay up to date with software development techniques and practices that may be useful within GOSS
- Stay up to date with data protection laws including the GDPR, and secure software development practices
You are someone who loves to code and get the work done. You will have an eye for detail and will work meticulously to ensure your code is the best it could be. You like to work in a team of like-minded software developers and can communicate effectively and professionally with your team, and GOSS clients. You like to continually improve and develop yourself and like the challenge of working on something you may never had worked on or used before. You're not afraid to ask for help if something isn't familiar as you relish the opportunity to learn and up skill. You can multi-task and take ownership of issues and projects with minimal need for guidance from senior colleagues.
- A degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science or a related discipline, and/or industry experience in a relevant field.
Essential skills and experience
- Solid understanding of the software development life cycle
- Understanding of object-orientated programming languages
- Strong HTML skills
- Understanding of version control systems e.g. Git
- Knowledge of Relational Databases
- Excellent oral and written communication skills which include the ability to communicate technical scenarios to non-technical audiences avoiding jargon
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with diverse teams
Desirable skills and experience
- Understanding of various web service technologies and formats, e.g. REST, JSON, SOAP, XML
- Understanding of dependency/package management tools such as NuGet or Maven
- Understanding of CSS
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies, and tools such as JIRA
- Experience with CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, GitLab
- Experience developing web forms using forms builder software
- Experience developing software with a CMS
- Experience of creating design documentation and test scripts for software
- Experience of developing software with accessibility in mind
- Developing software with performance and security in mind
- Some knowledge of the GDPR, and possibly ISO27001, ISO9001 and Cyber Essentials Plus
Things you need to know
To apply, complete our short application form and upload your CV using the link below.
Please contact us if you need the application form in an alternative format or if you require any reasonable adjustments to the selection process, including the interview (for example physical access, communication support, personal support).
Initial interviews will be via Teams with our Department Lead and If successful you will be invited to attend a competency-based interview either here at the GOSS offices in Plymouth or again via Teams which will last approximately 1.5 hours You will be expected to be able to evidence previous examples of your work.
Applications from candidates living outside of the UK will be considered for the position provided the candidates can demonstrate that they are eligible to work in the UK and do not require sponsorship.
GOSS is proud to be an equal opportunities employer. This means that decisions concerning recruitment will be based on the needs of the business and not any assumptions based on sex, race, age, disability, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, married or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
As an employer we are committed to promoting and protecting the physical and mental health and well-being of all our staff.
Due to the large volume of applications GOSS receive, if you have not heard from us within 4 weeks of applying, on this occasion its likely that you have been unsuccessful in your application.
Benefits at GOSS
Having happy employees is our number one priority! Discover all the benefits we provide.View benefits (Benefits at GOSS)
Culture at GOSS
Discover what being part of the GOSS team involves and learn what we do to make work feel less like work.Discover culture at GOSS (Culture at GOSS)
Learn how we're enabling organisations to embrace digital transformation with innovative digital and online solutions.Discover what we do (About GOSS)
We guide you through what happens when you apply for a position with us.View recruitment process (Recruitment process )