This role can be office based in Plymouth, remote or a hybrid of the two.
Main duties and responsibilities
- To write and maintain software (including tests and documentation) as required to meet the needs of internal and external clients
- To design and maintain consistent user interfaces and experiences
- Assisting other internal teams with the diagnosis and rectification of reported client issues
- Discuss projects with internal and external clients to establish clear requirements that can be implemented in software
- Write robust, performant, secure, maintainable code according to industry best practices, and GOSS internal standards
- Assist with testing and reviewing code for features developed by other team members
- Respond to feature requests from internal and external clients, discussing with the platform team lead and raising tickets within the internal issue tracking system as needed
- Comply with GOSS platform team procedures for source code control, issue tracking, software releases, etc.
- Stay up to date with software development techniques and practices that may be useful within GOSS
- Stay up to date with data protection laws including GDPR, and secure software development practices
You are someone who loves to code and get the work done. You will have an eye for detail and will work meticulously to ensure your code is the best it could be. You like to work in a team of like-minded software developers and can communicate effectively with your team and other colleagues. You like to continually improve and develop yourself and like the challenge of working on something you may never had worked on/used before. You're not afraid to ask for help if something isn't familiar as you relish the opportunity to learn and up skill.
- A degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science or a related discipline, and/or industry experience in a relevant field.
Essential skills and experience
- Software development
- Knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Front end libraries / frameworks
Desirable skills and experience
- Understanding of object-orientated programming languages such as C# or Java
- Understanding of version control systems e.g. Git
- Understanding of dependency/package management tools such as NuGet or Maven
- Understanding of software development life cycles and may have worked using Agile methodologies, and tools such as JIRA
- Experience with CI/CD tools such as Jenkins
- Experience developing electronic forms using forms software and may possibly have CMS development experience
- Experience of creating design documentation and test scripts for software
- Understanding of various web service types and formats, e.g. REST, JSON, SOAP, XML
- Developing software with accessibility in mind
- Developing software with performance and security in mind
- Some knowledge of GDPR, possibly ISO27001, ISO9001 and Cyber Essentials Plus
Things you need to know
To apply, complete our short application form and upload your CV using the link below.
Please contact us if you need the application form in an alternative format or if you require any reasonable adjustments to the selection process, including the interview (for example physical access, communication support, personal support).
Initial interviews will be via Teams with our Department Lead and If successful you will be invited to attend a competency-based interview either here at the GOSS offices in Plymouth or again via Teams which will last approximately 1.5 hours You will be expected to be able to evidence previous examples of your work.
Applications from candidates living outside of the UK will be considered for the position provided the candidates can demonstrate that they are eligible to work in the UK and do not require sponsorship.
GOSS is proud to be an equal opportunities employer. This means that decisions concerning recruitment will be based on the needs of the business and not any assumptions based on sex, race, age, disability, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, married or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
As an employer we are committed to promoting and protecting the physical and mental health and well-being of all our staff.
Due to the large volume of applications GOSS receive, if you have not heard from us within 4 weeks of applying, on this occasion its likely that you have been unsuccessful in your application.
Benefits at GOSS
Having happy employees is our number one priority! Discover all the benefits we provide.View benefits (Benefits at GOSS)
Culture at GOSS
Discover what being part of the GOSS team involves and learn what we do to make work feel less like work.Discover culture at GOSS (Culture at GOSS)
Learn how we're enabling organisations to embrace digital transformation with innovative digital and online solutions.Discover what we do (About GOSS)
We guide you through what happens when you apply for a position with us.View recruitment process (Recruitment process )